The Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission announces a workshop for aspiring playwrights. The New Play Lab at the annual William Inge Theater Festival is a partnership between the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission and the William Inge Theater Festival at Independence Community College in Independence, Kansas.
The New Play Lab will invite 20-25 playwrights to participate in a four-day workshop during the 37th Annual William Inge Theater Festival, May 9-12, 2018. The program will be based at The William Inge Center for the Arts, with events taking place in several venues throughout the city.
The program seeks to connect emerging playwrights with the national theater community through mentorship and learning during the William Inge Theater Festival. The playwrights receive feedback from a panel of theater experts of a staged reading of their submitted script, meet with fine arts professionals from across the country, and enjoy intensive playwriting workshops to help them refine their craft.
Applicants from all backgrounds, media and training are encouraged to submit.
Applications are due by November 23, 2017, and must be submitted electronically at https://kansascaic.submittable.com
The submitted plays will be blind reviewed (the playwright’s name will not be revealed) by a nationwide panel of theater professionals.
- Playwrights selected must be able to travel to and be in residence in Independence, Kansas, Wed. May 9 through Saturday May 12, 2018. Transportation costs and logistics, as well as the festival registration fee ($250) will be the responsibility of the playwright.
- During the New Play Lab, each playwright will have a rehearsed, public reading of not more than 30 minutes of their submitted script. Therefore, submissions of short-form one-acts are encouraged, though not required.
- Submitted play (or submitted section) must not include more than six participating characters.
- Accepted playwrights are charged a $250 fee, which provides admission to all Inge Festival events, including social events with guest artists, some meals, as well as New Play Lab workshops and feedback.
- All scripts must be submitted in PDF format with a file name 2018 + TITLE (for instance, 2018 Bus Stop.pdf). The title page may not have any identifying information -- no author name or address -- or it will be disqualified.
- Playwrights receive a rehearsed reading of up to 30 minutes of one of their scripts, with feedback from a panel of professional playwrights.
- Playwrights have extensive workshops with guest artists and writers, including an exclusive master class workshops with the 2018 Inge Festival Honoree.
- Playwrights also have access to the entire William Inge Theater Festival programs and social events.
For question, e mail the program directly at firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit www.ingecenter.org
For more on the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission go to KansasCommerce.gov/caic